Southern Company Corporate Governance Analyst in Atlanta, Georgia
Corporate Governance Analyst
JOB SUMMARY: Provide support to Corporate Secretary and Corporate Secretary Services Manager on all matters relating to Southern’s and system companies’ boards of directors and matters related to Southern system’s subsidiary maintenance.
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor's degree or in lieu of Bachelor’s degree, 5 years relevant experience
• 5 years experience in corporate department of large law firm or equivalent experience in legal/SEC reporting/corporate secretary's department of publicly traded company
• Excellent word processing, Excel and PowerPoint skills
• Dependable, self-starting, results-oriented individual
• High degree of professionalism and ability to be discreet with sensitive and confidential matters
• Excellent communication skills, attention to detail and organizational skills
• Good people skills, positive attitude and demonstrated ability to effectively communicate at all levels of the organization and with all types of external contacts
• Able to work effectively on a team and coordinate efforts across functions
MAJOR JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
BOARD OF DIRECTORS MATTERS
• Provide support for scheduling and planning Southern board of directors and board committee meetings; provide support for preparation and distribution of agendas and coordination of compilation of meeting information packets.
• Provide support for processing director compensation payments and distribution of same.
• Provide support for scheduling and planning for meetings of the boards of directors for Southern system companies; provide support for preparation and distribution of agendas and coordination of compilation of meeting information packets.
• Provide support for drafting of Southern and Southern system companies’ board resolutions, reports and minutes.
• Assist with maintaining Southern and certain Southern system companies’ board and committee minutes and records.
CORPORATE GOVERNANCE AND REGULATORY MATTERS
• Provide support for general subsidiary maintenance matters including: the incorporation, qualification, reorganization, dissolution or registration of Southern or its subsidiaries in various states and jurisdictions.
• Assist with maintaining parent and subsidiary corporate records and registrations, including subsidiary minute books, annual registrations, foreign qualifications and officer and director rosters.
• Prepare and/or provide data for periodic filings with various jurisdictions and regulatory or administrative agencies for Southern and its subsidiaries.
• Prepare annual officer election filings and coordinate same with secretaries throughout the Southern Company system.
• Assist with maintaining co-custody of the corporate seal and attestations to the powers of the officers and corporate acts.
• Coordinate the updates for changes to the external website on corporate governance matters.
• Assist with responding to data requests and performing governance research.
• Provide assistance with SEC filings, including quarterly and annual reports and proxy statement.
• Assist with preparation, distribution, and review of annual year-end director and officer questionnaires.
• Support transactional activity as needed, including document production and integration of corporate secretary functions of acquired companies.
• Assist with planning and execution of annual system-wide corporate secretary forum.
Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is America's premier energy company, with 46,000 megawatts of generating capacity and 1,500 billion cubic feet of combined natural gas consumption and throughput volume serving 9 million customers through its subsidiaries. The company provides clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy through electric operating companies in four states, natural gas distribution companies in seven states, a competitive generation company serving wholesale customers across America and a nationally recognized provider of customized energy solutions, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications. Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service, high reliability and affordable prices that are below the national average. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation, Southern Company and its subsidiaries are inventing America's energy future by developing the full portfolio of energy resources, including carbon-free nuclear, 21st century coal, natural gas, renewables and energy efficiency, and creating new products and services for the benefit of customers. Southern Company has been named by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer, recognized among the Top 50 Companies for Diversity by DiversityInc, listed by Black Enterprise magazine as one of the 40 Best Companies for Diversity and designated a Top Employer for Hispanics by Hispanic Network. The company has earned a National Award of Nuclear Science and History from the National Atomic Museum Foundation for its leadership and commitment to nuclear development and is continually ranked among the top energy companies in Fortune's annual World's Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at www.southerncompany.com.
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Field: Legal & Compliance
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Georgia-Metro Atlanta-Atlanta
Operating Company: Southern Company Services
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): Yes, 25 % of the Time
Southern Company Headquarters - 30 Ivan Allen Jr. Blvd. NW (30ATLANTA)
30 Ivan Allen Jr. Blvd. NW
Req ID: SCS2007546