Southern Company Gas Control Supervisor in Atlanta, Georgia
Gas Control Supervisor
This position is responsible for overseeing the day to day operations related to the continuous monitoring and controlling of natural gas distribution pipeline operations to maintain system integrity and reliability and to meet the customer demand and balance the supply. Oversee Gas Load Forecasting for all utilities. Involvement with LDCs on pipeline changes that will affect controlling capabilities in Gas Control. Maintain and secure all MOCs and Point 2 Point verifications for each LDC. The position supervises a team of 4-6 Gas Controllers, performing all responsibilities associated with leading a team.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES & ACCOUNTABILITIES BY COMPETENCY
• Supervise the day to day activities of Gas Control. These activities include curtailments, support supply allocations, pressure control, odorization, pipeline contract flow compliance.
• Assists in developing and documenting procedures; implementing training and standardization for control center operations.
• Support the corporate initiatives to meet the business goals.
• Provides sound judgment and insight to all associated parties to ensure each distribution/transmission system is optimized to provide maximum benefit.
• Assists in consulting with various business units that support Gas Control to ensure the latest technologies and efficiencies are utilized in order to maintain best practices around industry standards.
• Evaluates daily customer demand forecasts: analyzes data (e.g., weather conditions, historic gas usage, time of day or night, trends); establishes daily supply requirements for planning purposes.
• Analyzes data (e.g., gas quality, pressure, temperature) with variables affecting customer demand (e.g., changing weather conditions) to forecast load adjustments (e.g., develops curtailment plans; notifies LNG plants, On System Storage, Compression Stations for anticipated load into distribution system to meet peak demand requirements) for real time operations.
• Coordinates Gas Control staff and activities in a continuously operating environment.
• Assists in identifying and conducting internal training for Gas Control personnel; documents completed training.
• Develops operational needs to establish pipeline minimum flow amounts, operational swing levels, swing supply sources to assist in providing economic dispatch to assist in providing low cost gas to the rate payers.
• Collaborates closely with the operations manager of the Transmission, Storage, LNG and Propane plants to ensure operational conditions and changes at each facility are communicated quickly and efficiently to Gas Controllers.
• Assists in developing contingency and disaster relief plans; implementing plans when required.
• Determines causes of abnormal conditions and takes corrective action (e.g., regulates gas flow and pressure to increase or decrease pressure in pipelines); ensures continual transmission of gas.
• Create and review SCADA work order requests for malfunctions of field equipment.
• Approve and track operating routines that affect the pipeline operation.
• Design and implement SCADA screens and administrative tools for operating improvements.
• Provides assistance in staff selection, development, and retention. Establishes and monitors work goals and objectives. Coaches staff, provides feedback, and evaluates performance.
• High School Diploma or GED.
• BA/BS degree in related discipline.
Related Work Experience:
• 5 years of experience demonstrating progressive learning and leadership (i.e., gas control, SCADA, distribution or transmission pipeline operations).
• Advanced understanding of pipeline hydraulics (flows, pressures, cause/effect).
• 5 years of progressive gas operations background including distribution/transmission pipeline operations.
• SCADA – intermediate proficiency.
• Operated in a control room environment that include the rigors of the PHMSA Control Room Management (CRM) regulations.
• 1-2 years supervisory experience.
Specific Skills & Knowledge:
• Microsoft Office Suite – intermediate proficiency.
• Problem solving, verbal, and written communication skills.
• Ability to multi-task.
• Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
• Ability to think, reason and make supervisory level decisions in high stress situations and a fast-paced environment.
• Ability to respond competently under pressure.
• Ability to work efficiently in a fast-paced business environment.
• Ability to establish and maintain rapport within organization.
• Ability to function in an environment of direct scrutiny of delivered results by company officers, marketers and business partners.
• Ability to learn, retain, and apply detailed information.
• Participates in various planning sessions dealing with pipeline integrity, maintenance planning, outage coordination, SCADA graphics updates, and engineering construction and design affecting Gas Control real-time operations.
• Knowledge of SCADA and communication solutions.
• Thorough understanding of Gas Control procedures and business processes.
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
• Occasional Traveler (5-15% travel): The incumbent will be required to travel on occasion.
• Trips may require air travel and/or overnight stay away from home for one or more nights.
• Primarily office environment.
• Some field visits.
• 24/7/365 Emergency Response.
This information describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this job. The description is not designed to be a comprehensive inventory of duties, responsibilities and qualifications required in the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to qualified disabled individuals for performance of essential duties and responsibilities
Southern Company Gas provides for the energy needs of millions of U.S. households and businesses. As the largest natural gas-only distribution company in the United States, with more than 150 years of history behind us, we're working to ensure that Americans have access to an abundant, safely delivered supply of natural gas for decades to come. We offer our customers a wide range of energy services under one umbrella: seven regulated utilities as well as non-regulated businesses that offer retail, wholesale and storage services.
Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is America's premier energy company, with 46,000 megawatts of generating capacity and 1,500 billion cubic feet of combined natural gas consumption and throughput volume serving 9 million customers through its subsidiaries . The company provides clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy through electric operating companies in four states, natural gas distribution companies in seven states, a competitive generation company serving wholesale customers across America and a nationally recognized provider of customized energy solutions, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications . Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service, high reliability and affordable prices that are below the national average. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation, Southern Company and its subsidiaries are inventing America's energy future by developing the full portfolio of energy resources, including carbon-free nuclear, 21st century coal, natural gas, renewables and energy efficiency, and creating new products and services for the benefit of customers. Southern Company has been named by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer, recognized among the Top 50 Companies for Diversity by DiversityInc, listed by Black Enterprise magazine as one of the 40 Best Companies for Diversity and designated a Top Employer for Hispanics by Hispanic Network. The company has earned a National Award of Nuclear Science and History from the National Atomic Museum Foundation for its leadership and commitment to nuclear development and is continually ranked among the top energy companies in Fortune's annual World's Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Field: Gas Pipeline Operations & Maintenance
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Georgia-Metro Atlanta-Atlanta
Operating Company: Southern Company Gas
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): Yes, 25 % of the Time
AGLR Corporate Office - 10 Peachtree Place NE (10AtlantaCODE)
10 Peachtree Place NE
Req ID: GAS2001197