Southern Company Operations Support – Application Support Transmission Analyst in Atlanta, Georgia
Operations Support – Application Support Transmission Analyst
Operations Support – Application Support Transmission Analyst/Specialist
This position will be part of the Power Delivery Operations Support, Application Support team. This team is responsible for providing application and service support for our customers: The Transmission Control Center, Integrated Transmission System (ITS) participants and other areas across Power Delivery. The team ensures customer reliability and safety through providing and assisting with statistical data analysis. Applications Support looks to create and improve processes that make operations cost-effective and consistent through application enhancement and development. Some of the key applications supported by the group include TransMap, ITS Single Line Diagrams, Substation Entry Notification and Tracking (SENT), Substation Operator Time Tasks, Transmission Availability Data System (TADS), EMO and Load Shed (EMS).
Operations Support is the lens through which the Control Center Operators see our system and is made up of four teams. In addition to the Application Support team we have, the Modeling and Engineering Support team that verifies the system models and accurately reflects our system. The Communication Support team that maintains critical application and communications pathways that allow operators to view the control system. And the Training team that provides the knowledge and skills required to safely operate our system while maintaining reliability and requirements.
The Application Support Transmission Analyst position will be located in Atlanta until moving to Lithia Springs in 2021.
Position responsibilities include all aspects of production support, solution delivery, and managing applications and/or reporting tools. The successful candidate will be part of a diverse team with strong focus on technology, innovation and efficiency, and will be responsible for a variety of assignments that could include but are not limited to rearchitecting MS Access solutions, application development and providing application support. The position will work with a variety of customers which will require excellent interpersonal, communication, customer service, time management, learning agility and organizational skills.
Our team has several areas of responsibility so the specifics of job responsibilities may vary based on fit with business needs and team skill sets.
· Day-to-Day, the analyst will perform functional tasks including requirements development, configuration, maintenance, enhancements and upgrades to existing tools and applications.
· Provide hands-on technology support, including the implementation, delivery, and maintenance of applications and reporting tools.
· Responsible for interacting with the users/customers to obtain information and share information needed for successful system implementation, upgrades, usage and maintenance experience.
· Developing and maintaining documentation pertaining to support responsibilities and tasks.
· Collaborate with other Operating Companies to improve applications and/or associated work processes for alignment.
· Maintain technical proficiency and support the knowledge-sharing approach within the team.
· Build and establish productive relationships with customers and communicate effectively to understand and integrate their needs in daily functions of the team.
· Foster constant innovation in processes and tools by means of automation, programming and collaboration.
· Able to learn new technology and customer processes in support of application modifications.
· Model and support employee-led safety culture and human performance initiatives.
· Support projects/committees in Operations Support and across Southern Company as required
· Bachelor’s degree in related field OR 5 years of experience in Technology Organization (IT) or Power Delivery (Transmission, Distribution or Operations).
· Experience with programming languages is preferred (e.g. C#, Visual Basic/VBA, Perl, PowerShell, etc.).
· Proficient in data management skills with experience in writing or using SQL queries.
· Experience with relational databases is required (e.g., SYBASE, ORACLE, SQL SERVER)
· Previous experience providing end-user support to multiple user groups is a plus.
· Experience providing technical support and troubleshooting applications is a plus
· Technology Organization (TO) and/or Power Delivery (Distribution, Transmission or Operationsu) experience is a plus.
· Strong computer skills in standard software packages such as Microsoft Office required
· Proven high degree of accuracy and quality work results required
· Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
· Strong skills in problem-solving, decision-making, and multi-tasking.
· Ability to analyze data and communicate insights effectively (verbal/written).
· Self-directed with strong initiative
· Customer focused approach
· Follow through on all aspects of assignments to ensure a quality solutions and increased value is delivered to our customers
· Display ability to work independently of direct supervision.
· Builds productive relationships with a focus on collaborations and teamwork
· Ability to obtain Critical Infrastructure Protection (CIP) and Insider Threat Program (ITP) security clearance is required
· Demonstrates all aspects of Our Values
· Demonstrates personal commitment to Safety Excellence
· Demonstrates teamwork and helps foster a collaboration environment
· Takes personal responsibility for quality of technical work
· Support the department’s commitment to fostering an inclusive environment
Georgia Power is an investor-owned, tax-paying utility that serves 2.25 million customers in all but four of Georgia's 159 counties. The largest of four electric utilities that make up Southern Company, Georgia Power, has been providing electricity to Georgia for more than a century at rates well below the national average.
Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is America's premier energy company, with 46,000 megawatts of generating capacity and 1,500 billion cubic feet of combined natural gas consumption and throughput volume serving 9 million customers through its subsidiaries. The company provides clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy through electric operating companies in four states, natural gas distribution companies in seven states, a competitive generation company serving wholesale customers across America and a nationally recognized provider of customized energy solutions, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications. Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service, high reliability and affordable prices that are below the national average. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation, Southern Company and its subsidiaries are inventing America's energy future by developing the full portfolio of energy resources, including carbon-free nuclear, 21st century coal, natural gas, renewables and energy efficiency, and creating new products and services for the benefit of customers. Southern Company has been named by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer, recognized among the Top 50 Companies for Diversity by DiversityInc, listed by Black Enterprise magazine as one of the 40 Best Companies for Diversity and designated a Top Employer for Hispanics by Hispanic Network. The company has earned a National Award of Nuclear Science and History from the National Atomic Museum Foundation for its leadership and commitment to nuclear development and is continually ranked among the top energy companies in Fortune's annual World's Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Georgia-Metro Atlanta-Atlanta
Operating Company: Georgia Power Company
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): Yes, 25 % of the Time
Virginia Avenue Office - 689 Virginia Ave NE (689ATLANTA)
689 Virginia Ave NE
Req ID: GPC2007389