Southern Company Supervisor, Project & Process Support in Atlanta, Georgia
Supervisor, Project & Process Support
The purpose of this position is to manage a team of Project Construction Support Processors, Specialists and/or Analysts Specialists in support of for work supporting all Southern Company Gas utilities and to document and improve current processes, with a focus on back office activities. processes supporting Construction processes across the enterprise. The primary team duties include work request creation, spot contract creation, invoice processing, asset management booking, and many other back office duties in support of a wide variety of Engineering and Construction capital projects. This setup and maintenance of business support work in the Work Management System (WMS) for capital construction projects including New Business activities and the Company’s Rider Programs, and various other business and compliance support related functions. This individual will also trouble shoot data anomalies, provide ad-hoc analysis, serve as a subject matter expert (SME) for process and system migrations, and respond to coordinate special data requests in to support of regulatory & internal audits as well as other key programs.
Manage and oversee a team group of Project Construction Support Processors, Specialists and/or Analysts performing a wide array of tasks in support of Engineering and Construction (E&C) capital projects across our natural gas utilities
Organizes, plans and facilitates the development of new process standards, associated procedures and training
Translate conceptual standards into transactional procedures including facilitating and documenting use cases and system process flows and defining standard processes
Perform system analysis, analyze user needs, recommend improvements, and translate into business requirement documents for system upgrades and enhancements to large scale projects
Document application enhancements and detail specifications aligned with business needs and in accordance with Company standard and Quality Assurance best practices.
Analyzes and identifies errors, problems, and opportunities within existing systems and processes
Understands impact of department’s role throughout E&C construction projects and uses that understanding to enhance systems and processes for the betterment of the project life cycle
Assists team with prioritizing tasks; completes high priority tasks when needed to ensure there is no delay in processing critical items
Conducts training of personnel throughout E&C Construction on process and system updates
Maintains relationships with Engineering and Construction Leaders and Heads at each Southern Company Gas AGLR utility to ensure adherence to invoicing and asset management procedures
Lead functional analysis and documentation of application enhancements including functional design documentation, gap analysis, use cases, and training documentation
Serves as a subject matter expert on project construction support processes, systems, and support related improvement initiatives
Works with training to ensure the employees receive adequate training for their roles
Serves as a mentor for employees, contractors, and others (e.g. Construction Processor Construction s and Coordinators), as needed
Partners with Engineering leaders, Construction Support Supervisor, Construction Manager, and key personnel from other interrelated departments (i.e. Accounting, Utility Business Systems, IT, etc.) to drive improvements into project setup, system integrations, management of projects throughout their life cycle, and booking of assets.
Working in collaboration with other department leaders, determine which specific activities/deliverables are the responsibility of this supervisor. On an ongoing basis, ensure that assigned items are performed in a timely and accurate fashion. Potential activities/deliverables include, but are not limited to:
Processing Business Case Authorizations (BCAs)
Creating and updating Work Requests
Creating and updating Spot Contracts
Creating Contractor IDs per Contractor Action Notices (CANs)
Printing and mailing service cards
Resolving data, workflow, or other errors
Adding/updating Compatible Units (CUs)
Updating contract pricing
Other items, as needs arise
Produces monthly scorecard including of team activity to metrics showing the volume of work completed and outstanding, along with a summary of accomplishments, risks, and issues faced by the team to ensure all duties are complete in a timely manner with high quality results
Drives improvements into the project closeout process in multiple systems (WMS, PeopleSoft, PowerPlant, etc.)
Responsible for monitoring progress against goals/deliverables and holds self and others accountable for results
Ensures compliance of all departmental activities, collaborating with Engineering, with Construction, Construction, Accounting, Internal Audit, and other applicable processes and procedures
• Valid drivers license
• BA/BS Degree in Business, Finance, Accounting, or Process Management, Engineering, Construction Management, or comparable degree
• Or High School Diploma or GED, with additional work experience as noted below, or PMP Certification
• Equivalent academic education and experience
• Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification
Work Related Work Experience:
• 2 years of experience (with BA/BS degree or PMP certification) of supervising people and processes
• Or 5
• 5-7 years of experience (without out degree or PMP certification) supervising people and processes
• Or equivalent experience with Southern Company Gas working directly with engineering and construction projects, processes, and systems with at least 2 years in a leadership role of supervising people and processes
• Equivalent experience in AGLR’s Construction processes and various systems i.e. Work Management System, PeopleSoft, PowerPlant and GCMA
• Experience in the Engineering and Construction industry, focused on back office or project controls activities, process improvements, business systems, or related activities
• Experience in the Basic understanding of the natural gas or other energy related industry
• Experience working in a utility and/or regulated tory environment
• Familiarity with Southern Company Gas systems and processes, including PeopleSoft, PowerPlant, WMS, GIS, CQA, etc.
• Familiarity with Southern Company enterprise solutions including Oracle, Maximo, PowerPlant, etc. Process Management with 2-3 years experience with Southern Company Gas systems including PeopleSoft, PowerPlant, WMS, CIS, GIS, CQA, etc.
Applicant may possess a combination of equivalent education and work experience.
Specific Skills & Knowledge:
• Ability to communicate with all levels of the organization
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
• Ability to lead teams, conduct performance management, and influence decisions
• Strong proficiency with on primary Microsoft Office products including Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint including the ability to create detailed process documents and presentations
• Strong organizational skills
• Ability to lead teams and influence decisions
• MS Access – Basic proficiency
• MS Visio – Intermediate proficiency
• Work Management System, PowerPlant, PeopleSoft HRMS – intermediate proficiency
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
• Office environment with significant portion of time using keyboard/computer screen
• Infrequent travel (0-5%): The incumbent may be required to travel on a limited basis. Trips may require air travel and/or overnight stay away from home for one or more nights.
• Requires ability to work extended hours during critical periods (e.g. quarterly and annual audits)
Southern Company Gas provides for the energy needs of millions of U.S. households and businesses. As the largest natural gas-only distribution company in the United States, with more than 150 years of history behind us, we're working to ensure that Americans have access to an abundant, safely delivered supply of natural gas for decades to come. We offer our customers a wide range of energy services under one umbrella: seven regulated utilities as well as non-regulated businesses that offer retail, wholesale and storage services.
Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is America's premier energy company, with 46,000 megawatts of generating capacity and 1,500 billion cubic feet of combined natural gas consumption and throughput volume serving 9 million customers through its subsidiaries . The company provides clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy through electric operating companies in four states, natural gas distribution companies in seven states, a competitive generation company serving wholesale customers across America and a nationally recognized provider of customized energy solutions, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications . Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service, high reliability and affordable prices that are below the national average. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation, Southern Company and its subsidiaries are inventing America's energy future by developing the full portfolio of energy resources, including carbon-free nuclear, 21st century coal, natural gas, renewables and energy efficiency, and creating new products and services for the benefit of customers. Southern Company has been named by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer, recognized among the Top 50 Companies for Diversity by DiversityInc, listed by Black Enterprise magazine as one of the 40 Best Companies for Diversity and designated a Top Employer for Hispanics by Hispanic Network. The company has earned a National Award of Nuclear Science and History from the National Atomic Museum Foundation for its leadership and commitment to nuclear development and is continually ranked among the top energy companies in Fortune's annual World's Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at www.Southerncompany.com.
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Field: Construction
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Georgia-Metro Atlanta-Atlanta
Operating Company: Southern Company Gas
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): Yes, 25 % of the Time
AGLR Corporate Office - 10 Peachtree Place NE (10AtlantaCODE)
10 Peachtree Place NE
Req ID: GAS2002748