Shift Support Supv In Training
Sourcing Requisition for Senior Reactor Operator In Training
(a/k/a SNC Shift Support Supervisor In Training
Southern Nuclear Operating Company (SNC), headquartered in Birmingham, AL, operates Southern Company's six nuclear reactors at three locations in Georgia and Alabama: two reactors at Plant Vogtle, near Waynesboro, GA; two reactors at Plant Hatch, near Baxley, GA; and two reactors at Plant Farley, near Dothan, AL. In addition, significant progress has been made in the construction of two new reactors at our Plant Vogtle location. It's an exciting time to be part of our growing organization.
We will be hiring for Senior Reactor Operators (titled Shift Support Supervisors at SNC) over the next 18-24 months at each plant site. Our in-depth screening and background process requires sufficient time for applicants to express interest and engage in our selection efforts in advance of the actual hire dates. Please note: when a SSS-IT class is scheduled to be filled, we will have a specific posting for the plant that will be hiring. You will need to apply to the site specific posting.
Selected candidates for the Shift Support Supervisor will perform Operations staff functions for plant familiarization to prepare for an upcoming NRC Hot License Class. Candidates must successfully complete plant-provided systems and fundamentals training on reactor operation, heat transfer, fluid flow, and thermodynamics, as well as pass initial screening and annual medical requirements for acquiring and maintaining industrial fire brigade duties.
Upon the successful completion of Hot License Class and attaining an NRC Operating License, the SRO candidate will become a Shift Support Supervisor, directing operating shift personnel in the performance of plant duties. This will include standing watch on rotating 12-hour shifts, and coordinating and directing the operation of the nuclear power plant's systems. Shift work, continuous training with periodic examinations, respirator qualification, and maintaining qualification as a member of the plant Fire Brigade are all requirements of this position.
• Candidates will be required to meet at least one of the following requirements:
• 1 or more years as an active reactor operator at a BWR/PWR facility; OR
• 1.5 or more years as an active reactor operator at a non-comparable commercial power reactor; OR
• 2 or more years in a military equivalent position. Equivalent positions include:
• Engineering Officers of the Watch
• Preferred candidates will have six or more years experience in nuclear plant operations (e.g., Nuclear Navy or commercial power plant), including holding a previous NRC RO or SRO license or military equivalent
• Demonstrated leadership, preferably at the supervisor level or above, along with excellent oral and written skills.
• Solid analytical thinking and strong mechanical aptitude a must.
• High school diploma or equivalent is required
• Bachelor Degree in Engineering or related field preferred
• Should possess a high degree of manual dexterity and mature judgment
• The selected candidate will be required to obtain U.S. Nuclear Power Plant Unescorted Access and will participate in the company's Fitness-for-Duty Program.
• Candidates may also be required to maintain qualifications and on-call responsibilities in support of the plant Emergency Response Organization.
• In order to obtain unescorted access, the selected candidate will be required to complete a Personal History Questionnaire (PHQ).
• Information from this form will be used to conduct an extensive background investigation as required by Title 10 of the Code of Federal Regulations.
• It is unlikely you will be granted access if (1) you have had a positive drug or alcohol test within the past five years, (2) you have used or possessed drugs in the past five years, (3) you have a felony conviction in the past five years, (4) you have recent misdemeanor convictions, (5) you falsify or omit information or fail to fully cooperate during the investigation process. This list is not inclusive.
Southern Nuclear is a leader among the nation’s nuclear energy operators, running six – soon to be eight – units for Alabama Power and Georgia Power. For more than 40 years, the company has operated nuclear energy facilities at the highest levels of safety and reliability, creating carbon-free electricity for millions of homes and businesses.
SNC prioritizes the health and safety of the public and its employees above all else, operating its facilities safely, reliably and affordably for customers and communities while using innovative technologies and practices that enhance performance. This work is enabled by the continuous development, leadership and skills of a high-performing workforce.
Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is a leading energy provider serving 9 million residential and commercial customers across the Southeast and beyond through its family of companies. Providing clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy with excellent service is our mission. The company has electric operating companies in three states, natural gas distribution companies in four states, a competitive generation company, a leading distributed energy infrastructure company with national capabilities, a fiber optics network, and telecommunications services. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation, resilience, and sustainability, we are taking action to meet our customers’ and communities’ needs while advancing our commitment to net zero emissions by 2050. Our uncompromising values ensure we put the needs of those we serve at the center of everything we do and are the key to our sustained success. We are transforming energy into economic, environmental and social progress for tomorrow. Our corporate culture and hiring practices have earned the company national awards and recognition from numerous organizations, including Forbes, Military Times, DiversityInc, Black Enterprise, J.D. Power, Fortune, Human Rights Campaign and more. To learn more, visit www.southerncompany.com.
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Identification: 3362
Job Category: Power Plant Operations & Maintenance
Job Schedule: Full time
Company: Southern Nuclear