Southern Company Electrical - Digital/I&C Engineer (Corporate) in Birmingham, Alabama
Electrical - Digital/I&C Engineer (Corporate)
Southern Nuclear, a subsidiary of Southern Company, manages and operates six nuclear power electric generating plants that provide approximately 20 percent of the electricity used in Alabama and Georgia. Southern Nuclear is leading the nuclear renaissance by building the first new U.S. nuclear reactors in more than 25 years. When completed, the two Westinghouse AP1000 reactors currently under construction at Plant Vogtle will make the facility the largest in the U.S. with four reactors on one site. This is an exciting time to join the Southern Company team and share your talents with a growing and progressive organization!
Electrical - Digital/I&C Engineer
This position is for an Electrical - Digital/I&C Engineer with experience in Industrial Control System environments to support the Southern Nuclear operating fleet. The successful candidate will be a part of a team tasked to shape and drive the vision for SNC’s Digital Modernization Strategy. Strategic partnerships with internal departments will be utilized to ensure that proposed technical solutions align with the company's overall objectives. The successful candidate will also serve as a strategic partner to business leaders, internal innovation teams, and site functional areas by helping them identify and take advantage of new digital opportunities while providing guidance and ensuring solutions align with current control systems and business strategy. In addition, the selected individual will also be used to prepare and verify conceptual designs and detailed modification packages including equipment specifications, calculations and other design documents. This Fleet Design position is responsible for ensuring design execution commensurate with industry excellence - promoting fleet standardization, ensuring outage success and providing subject matter expertise.
The position will be filled at a level commensurate with the successful candidate’s skills and experience level.
· Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering from an ABET accredited college or university is required.
· Minimum 3 years of Digital/I&C engineering experience is preferred.
· Design Modifications experience is preferred.
· Experience in commercial nuclear power is preferred.
· Knowledge of Digital/Cyber Security concepts, practices and procedures as it relates to nuclear plant physical security is preferred.
· Able to recommend and support the implementation of architectures necessary to maintain Nuclear Generation’s cyber security and compliance posture.
· Knowledge and experience with network infrastructure, modern operating systems, database applications, web applications and other computing technologies.
· Familiarity with Industrial Control Systems / Programmable Electronic Systems (DCS and PLC) and third-party datalink protocols (Modbus, DNP, ABPLC).
· An understanding of industrial control system networks (e.g., ICS, PLC, DPC, and SCADA).
· Able to work with AEs, vendors and various groups in the station to effect efficient solutions.
· Ability to apply knowledge of plant functions, operations, systems, safety rules and regulations and business goals in day-to-day decision making.
· Strong leadership skills with proven ability to serve as team project lead.
· Equally effective working independently or in team environments.
· Strong planning and organizational skills.
· Strong oral and written communication skills (includes technical writing).
· Positive, optimistic, team player and solution-oriented attitude.
MAJOR JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Perform engineering assignments involved in the design and construction of modifications for nuclear plant facilities within regulatory compliance.
· Specifically provides technical support, guidance, and mentoring for the design, selection, and installation of nuclear plant facility digital and instrumentation and control (I&C) systems.
· Partner with stakeholders and technology subject matter experts to elicit and translate business needs and requirements into technological solutions.
· Conducts research to complete engineering and cost studies and assess feasibility of options, formulates proposals and recommendations.
· Researches and evaluates operational performance, safety and regulation compliance and cost impact of equipment and material utilization.
· Development of equipment/system specifications and requirements and perform bid evaluations and reviews for conformance.
· Provide technical direction to outside engineering and vendor services to ensure project goals are met.
· Monitor new technological advances for application development and information technologies.
· Trains and mentors junior team members.
Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is America’s premier energy company, with 44,000 megawatts of generating capacity and 1,500 billion cubic feet of combined natural gas consumption and throughput volume serving 9 million electric and gas utility customers through its subsidiaries. The company provides clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy through electric utilities in four states, natural gas distribution utilities in seven states, a competitive generation company serving wholesale customers across America and a national recognized provider of customized energy solutions, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications. Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service, high reliability and affordable prices that are below the national average. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation, Southern Company and its subsidiaries are inventing America’s energy future by developing the full portfolio of energy resources, including carbon-free nuclear, 21st century coal, natural gas, renewables and energy efficiency, and creating new products and services for the benefit of customers. Southern Company has been named by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer, recognized among the Top 50 Companies for Diversity by DiversityInc, listed by Black Enterprise magazine as one of the 40 Best Companies for Diversity and designated a Top Employer for Hispanics by Hispanic Network. The company has earned a National Award of Nuclear Science and History from the National Atomic Museum Foundation for its leadership and commitment to nuclear development and is continually ranked among the top utilities in Fortune’s annual World's Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at www.southerncompany.com.
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law. #LI
Job Field: Engineering
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Alabama-Metro Birmingham/Eastern AL-Birmingham
Operating Company: Southern Nuclear Operating Co
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): Yes, 25 % of the Time
The Energy Center - 3535 Colonnade Parkway (3535Birmingham)
3535 Colonnade Parkway
Req ID: SNC2005603