Southern Company Nuclear Fuel Engineer / Physicist- Corporate in Birmingham, Alabama
Nuclear Fuel Engineer / Physicist- Corporate
Nuclear Fuel Engineer / Physicist (Corporate)
It's an exciting time to be part of our growing organization. If a new and significant challenge is what you have been longing for, and if you are energized, positive, committed, and desiring to make a difference, then we are looking for YOU to join our team!
Southern Nuclear Operating Company (SNC), headquartered in Birmingham, AL, operates Southern Company's six nuclear reactors at three locations in Georgia and Alabama: two reactors at Plant Vogtle, near Waynesboro, GA; two reactors at Plant Hatch, near Columbia, GA; and two reactors at Plant Farley, near Dothan, AL. In addition, construction activities are underway for two new reactors at our Plant Vogtle location.
We currently have an opportunity located at our Corporate HQ location in Birmingham, AL for a Nuclear Fuel Engineer.
Responsibilities of this position include nuclear fuel and core design, core management, operational support, safety analysis, transient analysis, and reload licensing work using vendor-supplied steady state and transient analysis methods.
• A minimum of a Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering or Physics from an ABET accredited institution is required. Advance degree in Engineering, Physics or related field with specialty in nuclear analysis and/or thermal-hydraulic analysis is desired, but not required.
• Degree(s) in Nuclear Engineering is preferred, but not required.
• A minimum of five years of work experience performing engineering calculations and solving problems to support reactor physics and/or transient and accident analyses.
• Experience with BWR core design or transient analysis is preferred.
• Experience with GEH/GNF nuclear methods is preferred.
• Experience with TRACG-AOOs is preferred.
Knowledge and Skills:
• Strong technical writing skills are required.
• A high level of communication, computer, presentation, and interpersonal skills are required.
• Exceptional organization skills and ability to manage complex projects with multiple work phases are required.
• Ability to comprehend complex reactor physics/design problems and provide solutions is required.
• Knowledge of BWR reactor physics and of fuel and core design analysis is preferred.
• Knowledge of two phase flow thermal hydraulics is desired.
• Knowledge of BWR transient or safety analysis is desired.
MAJOR JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
Fuel Engineer responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Conduct independent analysis to support performance of transient analysis and/or core design analysis with minimal supervision.
• Effectively communicate with other technical and non-technical disciplines, site reactor engineers, and fuel vendors.
• Technical project management and oversight of nuclear fuel vendor's fuel/core design analysis and licensing support.
• Technical support of nuclear fuel commercial decisions for BWR units.
Southern Nuclear's top priority is the safety and health of the public, our employees and the environment. We are committed to the safe operation of our nuclear generating facilities with equipment and systems that meet strict Nuclear Regulatory Commission safety and design regulations. Each Southern Nuclear employee is committed to instilling Institute for Nuclear Power Operations' "Principles for a Strong Nuclear Safety Culture" in every aspect of their responsibilities.
With 4.4 million customers and more than 46,000 megawatts of generating capacity, Atlanta-based Southern Company is the premier energy company serving the Southeast through its subsidiaries. A leading U.S. producer of clean, safe, reliable and affordable electricity, Southern Company owns electric utilities in four states and a growing competitive generation company, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications. Southern Company brands are known for energy innovation, excellent customer service, high reliability and retail electric prices that are below the national average. Southern Company and its subsidiaries are leading the nation's nuclear renaissance through the construction of the first new nuclear units to be built in a generation of Americans and are demonstrating their commitment to energy innovation through the development of a state-of-the-art coal gasification plant. Southern Company has been recognized by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer and listed by DiversityInc as a top company for Blacks. The company received the 2012 Edison Award from the Edison Electric Institute for its leadership in new nuclear development, was named Electric Light & Power magazine's Utility of the Year for 2012 and is continually ranked among the top utilities in Fortune's annual World's Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at http://www.southerncompany.com/
Southern Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) of minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, veterans and strongly supports diversity in the workplace.
Job Field: Engineering
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Alabama-Metro Birmingham/Eastern AL-Birmingham
Operating Company: Southern Nuclear Operating Co
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): Yes, 25 % of the Time
The Energy Center - 3535 Colonnade Parkway (3535Birmingham)
3535 Colonnade Parkway
Req ID: SNC2005097