Southern Company Printing Operator in Birmingham, Alabama
This position is responsible for providing printing production services for internal clients, including plate making, press operation, pre-press file set up for press and digital, and a wide variety of bindery equipment. Other requirements include problem solving and good communication skills. An understanding of cost of goods and billing rates is also required in order to complete jobs in a way that ensures complete cost recovery.
JOB REQUIREMENTS (Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills):
• Extensive knowledge and experience in printing operations of small to medium size offset presses and bindery equipment
• Technical expertise in maintenance and operation of highly specialized equipment ensuring quality and safety.
• Technical knowledge of Mac and PC programs for setting files up for print both digital and offset
• Inventory management skills to efficiently procure and utilize stock and supplies
• Physically able to lift boxes of 50 lbs. and flexible to operate equipment
• PC skills needed for communication and job tracking, specifically, Microsoft Outlook, Avanti Job Tracking and InDesign.
• Southern Style Behaviors
• Excellent customer focus
• Excellent work ethic, self starter
• Diplomatic communication style
• Team oriented team player and ability to turn obstacles into opportunities
MAJOR JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Provide offset printing, pre-press and bindery operations.
• Produce a wide range offset color printed materials from start to finish, using high speed production equipment in digital, press, bindery and wide format
• Input production data into Avanti Tracking System, ensuring jobs are complete and paper inventory is updated
• Assist with protecting Alabama Power/Southern Company’s corporate identity program, and ensure compliance and confidentiality
• Represent the company and the department with dedication and superior service
• Equipment evaluation (preventative and reactive maintenance, supplier meetings, analysis of new equipment and assistance with determining new purchases, training)
• Help in areas as needed in production assistance both in Document Services and Print Shop
• Cross train in all areas of Printing and Document Services production to gain knowledge of each job responsibility and provide back up support as needed
• Train and assist employees with various aspects of printing, including equipment operation and quality assurance
Alabama Power provides the valuable combination of competitive prices, reliable electricity supply and unparalleled service to 1.4 million homes, businesses and industries in the southern two-thirds of Alabama.
With 4.4 million customers and more than 46,000 megawatts of generating capacity, Atlanta-based Southern Company is the premier energy company serving the Southeast through its subsidiaries. A leading U.S. producer of clean, safe, reliable and affordable electricity, Southern Company owns electric utilities in four states and a growing competitive generation company, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications. Southern Company brands are known for energy innovation, excellent customer service, high reliability and retail electric prices that are below the national average. Southern Company and its subsidiaries are leading the nation's nuclear renaissance through the construction of the first new nuclear units to be built in a generation of Americans and are demonstrating their commitment to energy innovation through the development of a state-of-the-art coal gasification plant. Southern Company has been recognized by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer and listed by DiversityInc as a top company for Blacks. The company received the 2012 Edison Award from the Edison Electric Institute for its leadership in new nuclear development, was named Electric Light & Power magazine's Utility of the Year for 2012 and is continually ranked among the top utilities in Fortune's annual World's Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at http://www.southerncompany.com/
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Alabama-Metro Birmingham/Eastern AL-Birmingham
Operating Company: Alabama Power Company
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): No
Union Covered: No
Crp Hdqs-900 North 18 St - 900 North 18th Street (900BIRMINGHAM)
900 North 18th Street
Req ID: APC2005266