I&C Design Engineer - Plant Farley
I&C Design Engineer - Central Design – Plant Farley 1&2
Summary of Position Duties:
• Create Design Change Packages and supporting documentation.
• Perform Electromagnetic/Radio Frequency Interference Evaluations.
• Perform Software change packages, and cyber security evaluations.
• Perform setpoint and scaling calculations.
• Provide technical oversight for design modifications.
• Conduct site walk downs, and review design modifications for constructability.
• Support cost estimates, and scoping of future design modifications.
• Ensure design drawings are updated after completion of a design modification.
• Present design changes at various meetings.
• Create purchase orders and verify materials received.
• Coordinate and write test procedures, as needed.
• Manage design scope, schedule, and budget to meet site objectives.
• Coordinate with stakeholders and vendors associated with modifications.
• Provide input for/attend post-project evaluation/lessons learned meetings.
• Perform engineering duty and emergency response duty as required.
• Other duties as required.
• BS in Engineering from an ABET accredited institution or PE license required.
• Nuclear design modifications experience is preferred.
• Construction planning, scheduling and implementation experience preferred.
• Project management/oversight experience preferred.
• Makes principled, data-based decisions that take critical factors into account.
• Works through conflicts to create win/win situations.
• Holds self accountable for superior results.
• Works well as contributing member of a team.
• Respects the dignity of every individual and different viewpoints.
• Assumes personal responsibility for individual success.
• Strong written and oral communication skills.
• Working knowledge of design processes and configuration is preferred.
• Working knowledge of PWR systems, structures and components is preferred.
• Working knowledge of nuclear power plant design and systems is preferred.
• Working knowledge of industrial digital systems such as Ovation, or Mark Vie preferred.
• Working knowledge of programming is preferred.
• Working knowledge of setpoint and scaling calculations is preferred.
⦁ Working knowledge of cable sizing and voltage drop calculations and electrical components (breakers, relays, motors, protection devices, etc.) selection.
⦁ Working knowledge of protection coordination.
⦁ Background in engineering with working knowledge of applicable discipline codes and standards required.
⦁ Working knowledge of regulatory requirements related to the nuclear power industry preferred.
⦁ Previous experience in electrical power system analysis and protection software tools like ETAP or CAPTOR is preferred.
⦁ Ability to assist in the development of specifications.
⦁ Ability to initiate, coordinate and oversee multiple complex projects and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
The successful candidate must meet background screening and NRC Fitness for Duty requirements. Selected candidate must be willing to relocate within one hour of the SNC Emergency Operations Facility for emergency response availability.
Southern Nuclear is a leader among the nation’s nuclear energy operators, running six – soon to be eight – units for Alabama Power and Georgia Power. For more than 40 years, the company has operated nuclear energy facilities at the highest levels of safety and reliability, creating carbon-free electricity for millions of homes and businesses.
SNC prioritizes the health and safety of the public and its employees above all else, operating its facilities safely, reliably and affordably for customers and communities while using innovative technologies and practices that enhance performance. This work is enabled by the continuous development, leadership and skills of a high-performing workforce.
Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is a leading energy provider serving 9 million residential and commercial customers across the Southeast and beyond through its family of companies. Providing clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy with excellent service is our mission. The company has electric operating companies in three states, natural gas distribution companies in four states, a competitive generation company, a leading distributed energy infrastructure company with national capabilities, a fiber optics network, and telecommunications services. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation, resilience, and sustainability, we are taking action to meet our customers’ and communities’ needs while advancing our commitment to net zero emissions by 2050. Our uncompromising values ensure we put the needs of those we serve at the center of everything we do and are the key to our sustained success. We are transforming energy into economic, environmental and social progress for tomorrow. Our corporate culture and hiring practices have earned the company national awards and recognition from numerous organizations, including Forbes, Military Times, DiversityInc, Black Enterprise, J.D. Power, Fortune, Human Rights Campaign and more. To learn more, visit www.southerncompany.com.
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Identification: 3322
Job Category: Engineering
Job Schedule: Full time
Company: Southern Nuclear