Southern Company 2020 Engineering Internship in Durham, North Carolina
2020 Engineering Internship
Durham, NC •Distributed Infrastructure (DI)
PowerSecure, Inc. a subsidiary of Southern Company, is seeking interns to join our creative team of engineers who are working to provide innovative energy, distributed and Microgrid solutions to electric utilities, industrial, institutional, and commercial customers as well as state and federal government. These positions will be located at our Durham, NC office . These positions will begin in May and end in mid-August.
Our engineers are hard-working, smart, goal-oriented and creative, and they are looking for interns to train to participate in every level of system design and orientation. The interns hired for this position should expect to learn all facets of our generation and electrical switchgear manufacturing as well the design, implementation, and service of those projects, and will leave this position with invaluable skills and industry knowledge. Interns will work alongside engineers, project managers, and technical professionals while undertaking short-term responsibilities which may involve any or all of the following: research, analysis, project management, process development, project responsibilities, and project documentation. Interns will be assigned to specific operations-related work needs once they are on board.
Learn More About Our Company at https://youtu.be/vp5zuLTSIXk
• Use your strong analytical and statistical skills on any given project
• Possess the ability to work independently with minimal supervision
• Improve productivity by performing ergonomic evaluations, time studies, simulation, and line balancing
• Champion and improve plant safety
• Process documentation
• Capacity utilization analysis
• Optimize assembly flow and processes
• Works effectively with others from diverse backgrounds to achieve a common goal
• Ability to deliver superior results within an allocated time through effective prioritization, scheduling, planning, and execution of assigned work
PowerSecure, a Southern Company subsidiary, is a leading provider of innovative energy solutions to electric utilities and to their industrial, institutional, and commercial customers. PowerSecure provides energy solutions in the areas of distributed energy infrastructure and energy efficiency.
We invest in high-value and cost-effective benefits for our employees. Our benefits package includes:
• Medical, dental, vision and life insurance coverage
• Competitive pay and a matching 401 (k) plan
• Vacation, Company Holidays, Personal Days and Sick Days
• Flexible spending accounts/Health savings account
• Wellness Incentive Programs
• Employee Referral Program
• Tuition Reimbursement
• Applicants should be engineering majors; specifically, Industrial, Mechanical and Electrical Engineering majors OR currently pursuing a Master's degree in Integrated Manufacturing Systems Engineering
• A student must be in good standing with an accredited college/university.
• Must have achieved at least sophomore status.
• Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
• U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
• Must be available to work 40 hours per week for the duration of the internship-which lasts from May-August.
• Proficiency in MS Office, AutoCAD and other analytical and planning tools.
PowerSecure is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression or any other basis prohibited by law.
Operating Company: PowerSecure