Southern Company Electrical Designer-II in Durham, North Carolina
Durham, NC •DI-Engineering
Calling all experienced Electrical Designers! PowerSecure is looking for an Electrical Designer who demonstrates curiosity, critical thinking, creativity, effective communication, adaptability, and a collaborative spirit. This is an intermediate level role and will be located at our manufacturing facility in Durham, NC. As an Electrical Designer 2 , you are accountable for providing accurate electrical designs on product improvements for the electrical infrastructure of our PowerBlock and Switchgear product lines. Hard work and talent will go a long way but we’re also looking at for technical competence, creativity, ability to work as part of a team, multi-disciplinary knowledge, initiative, and persistence.
As a part of your daily responsibilities, you will work on work on the electrical systems defined in the construction documentation or product specifications for the following:
A. House Power . Transformer, Panel Board, distribution and conduit, receptacles, lights and switches, HVAC, and switchgear heaters. Interface with switchgear controls, Engine block heaters, alternator strip heaters, Gas Train electrical needs, etc.
B. DC Systems . Station Battery, Racks, consoles, chargers, DC panel Boards, and distribution details.
C. Special electrical/control needs: Comms, gas leak detection, ventilation, fire detection, and alarm interface to switchgear controls.
D. Develop document sets : Including BOM, schematics, wire/conduit schedules, and other drawing details that will ensure the safe and efficient installation of this equipment.
We expect that you will:
• Identify and execute processes that reduce the overall cost to manufacture, install, and operate our electrical infrastructure systems located on our generator and switchgear enclosure products.
• Ensure schedules and milestone dates are achieved via the Master Production Schedule.
• Prepare engineering drawings from sketches, verbal descriptions, specifications, and technical information.
• Be available to work 40 hours and overtime when needed.
PowerSecure, a Southern Company subsidiary, is a leading provider of innovative energy solutions to electric utilities and their industrial, institutional, and commercial customers. PowerSecure provides energy solutions in the areas of distributed energy infrastructure and energy efficiency.
We invest in high-value and cost-effective benefits for our employees. Our benefits package includes:
Medical, dental, vision, and life insurance coverage
Competitive pay and a matching 401 (k) plan
Vacation, Company Holidays, Personal Days and Sick Days
Flexible spending accounts/Health savings account
Wellness Incentive Programs
Tuition Reimbursement Program
• Associate Degree in Electrical or Technical discipline
• 2-4 years of related work experience
• Proficient with 3-D [AutoDesk] Inventor or 2-D [AutoDesk] AutoCAD Electrical
• Working knowledge of UL, NEC, and NFPA 79 standards
• Ability to read and interpret documents to include work instructions, written directions, and markups to electrical drawings.
• Strong analytical, communication, and organizational skills with a desire for continuous improvement.
• Be detail-oriented and accurate and have a positive can-do attitude.
• Have strong verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills, including collaborating with other teams.
PowerSecure is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression or any other basis prohibited by law. This position is not open to third party agencies!
Operating Company: PowerSecure