Southern Company Measurement Specialist in Glen Ellyn, Illinois
This position is being posted as part of a job family.
The position may be filled at either the Measurement Specialist salary grade 6, 7 or 8 level. Individuals who demonstrate advanced skills in terms of work experience, education and certifications may be eligible for the advanced grade.
The purpose of this Measurement Specialist position is for the sorting, testing, inspection, calibration, and trouble-shooting of various types of meters and meters with ancillary devices including electronic volume correctors, temperature compensation heads and automated meter reading units. This position will also be responsible for accurate data entry of meter test information. Investigating and providing feedback to management to mitigate customer metering issues.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES & ACCOUNTABILITIES BY COMPETENCY
• Maintenance, inspection, calibration, and trouble-shooting of various types of meters including electronic volume correctors installed on diaphragm, rotary, and turbine meters.
• Understands all aspects including installation, maintenance, inspection and troubleshooting of electronic volume correctors, diaphragm, turbine, rotary meters, AMR devices, cellular modems, output pulsars and counters.
• Understands cause and effect of metering issues and investigates customer issues.
• Collects all meter set information for entry into the Company’s asset repository.
• Understands industry calibration procedures as they relate to measurement devices.
• Ability to self-prioritize and organize daily work assignments.
• Ability to analyze and interpret data to resolve issues and make process changes.
• Propose tactical direction of compliance related tasks.
• Collaborate and engage numerous internal departments to meet company goals and build cohesive relationships.
• Communicates with department management to meet all regulatory requirements.
• Instruct and engage all measurement personnel.
• Execute departmental metrics.
• Ensure all regulatory requirements are met.
• High School diploma or GED
• Associates or 2-year technical degree
Related Work Experience:
• 5 years experience working in Utility industry
• 2 years’ experience working in Measurement
Specific Skills & Knowledge:
• Good skill level using hand tools
• Good skill level using electronic calibration equipment
• Good computer skills
• Good understanding of measurement principles and application to meters.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
• Infrequent traveler; working indoors and field, as well as, an office environment.
This information describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this job. The description is not designed to be a comprehensive inventory of duties, responsibilities and qualifications required in the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to qualified disabled individuals for performance of essential duties and responsibilities.
Southern Company Gas provides for the energy needs of millions of U.S. households and businesses. As the largest natural gas-only distribution company in the United States, with more than 150 years of history behind us, we're working to ensure that Americans have access to an abundant, safely delivered supply of natural gas for decades to come. We offer our customers a wide range of energy services under one umbrella: seven regulated utilities as well as non-regulated businesses that offer retail, wholesale and storage services.
Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is America's premier energy company, with 46,000 megawatts of generating capacity and 1,500 billion cubic feet of combined natural gas consumption and throughput volume serving 9 million customers through its subsidiaries . The company provides clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy through electric operating companies in four states, natural gas distribution companies in seven states, a competitive generation company serving wholesale customers across America and a nationally recognized provider of customized energy solutions, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications . Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service, high reliability and affordable prices that are below the national average. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation, Southern Company and its subsidiaries are inventing America's energy future by developing the full portfolio of energy resources, including carbon-free nuclear, 21st century coal, natural gas, renewables and energy efficiency, and creating new products and services for the benefit of customers. Southern Company has been named by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer, recognized among the Top 50 Companies for Diversity by DiversityInc, listed by Black Enterprise magazine as one of the 40 Best Companies for Diversity and designated a Top Employer for Hispanics by Hispanic Network. The company has earned a National Award of Nuclear Science and History from the National Atomic Museum Foundation for its leadership and commitment to nuclear development and is continually ranked among the top energy companies in Fortune's annual World's Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Field: Gas Pipeline Operations & Maintenance
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Illinois-Metro Chicago-Glen Ellyn
Operating Company: Nicor Gas
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): Yes, 25 % of the Time
Union Covered: No
Glen Ellyn - 90 N Finley Rd. (90GlenEllynCODE)
90 N Finley Rd.
Glen Ellyn, 60137
Req ID: GAS2002387