Southern Company Assistant, Executive in Houston, Texas
Sequent Energy Management is part of the wholesale services segment of Southern Company Gas, a wholly owned subsidiary of Southern Company (NYSE: SO). Sequent Energy Management is a Houston-based entity focusing on asset management and optimization, producer services, wholesale marketing and risk management. For more information, visit http://www.sequentenergy.com/ .
Provides advanced-level administrative support to the President and Senior Management. Identifies opportunities to create efficiencies throughout the company. Instills confidence and trust by pro-actively identifying administrative needs and ensures that they are met. Responsible for managing the administrative staff and ensuring that the administrative department functions effectively.
• High School degree. Generally, 7 years’ experience in an administrative role with at least 2 years supporting an executive is required, less may be acceptable.
• Must be self-directed and take a proactive approach to everyday activities and responsibilities.
• Must be able to develop and manage a productive and proactive Administrative team. Must demonstrate the ability to delegate responsibilities and to ensure the timely and accurate completion of delegated responsibilities.
• Previous experience identifying and implementing process improvements.
• Possesses excellent judgment and demonstrated ability to handle business with a high degree of discretion, confidentiality and diplomacy.
• Ability to manage and complete multiple high priority projects and activities with strict time sensitive deadlines.
• Must be able to demonstrate the following:
• Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Must be able to work at a computer at least 4 hours a day.
• Ability to prioritize, multi-task, coordinate and schedule various tasks in a dependable and organized manner with little direction.
• An in-depth understanding of the importance of executive day-to-day itineraries.
• Superior verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to interface with tact and diplomacy at all levels including executives, employees, customers and board of directors.
• A keen sense of responsibility in managing other’s schedules.
• Ability to maintain strict confidence.
• Must be a team player and be able to work on multiple projects.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill(s), and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential responsibilities.
• Provides administrative support to the President. Responsibilities may include but are not limited to: scheduling appointments and maintaining calendars in Outlook; opening and reading mail and taking appropriate action; screening and prioritizing phone calls and e-mails and responding accordingly to the level of priority; anticipating and taking initiative on issues that arise; and setting-up and maintaining filing system.
• Effectively address matters centered on facilities, phones, and the overall business environment. Host bi-weekly meetings with all administrators to ensure effective communication and coverage.
• Support and maintain travel and expenses with priority on error management and consistency in the provision of accounting focus.
• Coordinates all Executive Business Review meetings, including travel, meeting agendas, activities, etc. Coordinates related materials, pre-reads, etc.
• Schedules internal and external meetings. Coordinates rescheduling to meet business demands and time constraints. Plans and coordinates logistics for meetings and special events.
• Coordinates travel arrangements for the President and Senior Management.
• Maintains and distributes minutes from the bi-weekly Senior Management staff meetings.
• Identifies and executes areas for process improvement. Communicates to all affected parties to ensure adherence.
• Proactively manages the Administrative staff. Develops and maintains departmental policies and procedures. Ensures that projects are completed in a timely manner. Evaluates the Administrative department and recommends systems and approaches to ensure that the department runs efficiently, while providing excellent customer service to all employees.
• Coordinates ordering of office furniture. Works with managers to identify available space for new employees and contractors.
• Responsible for updating the emergency evacuation procedures and communicates to all employees. Coordinates with all the Fire Wardens to ensure compliance.
• Acts as the back up for requesting maintenance through I-tenant and coordinating with the building management and maintenance staff if necessary.
• Ensures that departmental procedures are followed.
• May order lunches for meetings and events.
• Performs special projects as assigned.
• Attendance is an essential function: interaction with co-workers with little or no notice is required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; use hands; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk and reach with and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and /or move up to 10 pounds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This information describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this job. The description is not designed to be a comprehensive inventory of duties, responsibilities and qualifications required in the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to qualified disabled individuals for performance of essential duties and responsibilities.
Southern Company Gas provides for the energy needs of millions of U.S. households and businesses. As the largest natural gas-only distribution company in the United States, with more than 150 years of history behind us, we're working to ensure that Americans have access to an abundant, safely delivered supply of natural gas for decades to come. We offer our customers a wide range of energy services under one umbrella: seven regulated utilities as well as non-regulated businesses that offer retail, wholesale and storage services.
Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is America's premier energy company, with 46,000 megawatts of generating capacity and 1,500 billion cubic feet of combined natural gas consumption and throughput volume serving 9 million customers through its subsidiaries . The company provides clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy through electric operating companies in four states, natural gas distribution companies in seven states, a competitive generation company serving wholesale customers across America and a nationally recognized provider of customized energy solutions, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications . Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service, high reliability and affordable prices that are below the national average. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation, Southern Company and its subsidiaries are inventing America's energy future by developing the full portfolio of energy resources, including carbon-free nuclear, 21st century coal, natural gas, renewables and energy efficiency, and creating new products and services for the benefit of customers. Southern Company has been named by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer, recognized among the Top 50 Companies for Diversity by DiversityInc, listed by Black Enterprise magazine as one of the 40 Best Companies for Diversity and designated a Top Employer for Hispanics by Hispanic Network. The company has earned a National Award of Nuclear Science and History from the National Atomic Museum Foundation for its leadership and commitment to nuclear development and is continually ranked among the top energy companies in Fortune's annual World's Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at www.southerncompany.com.
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Field: Administrative & Clerical
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Texas-Metro Houston-Houston
Operating Company: Sequent Energy Management
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): Yes, 25 % of the Time
Sequent Energy Mang LP - Texas - 1200 Smith Street (1200HoustonCODE)
1200 Smith Street
Req ID: GAS2001413