Southern Company Reservoir Engineer in Houston, Texas
The position may be filled at either the Reservoir Intermediate Engineer, Engineer or Sr. Engineer. Individuals who demonstrate advanced skills in terms of work experience, education and certifications may be eligible for the advanced grade.
• Designs, builds and utilize analytical models and tools for commercial optimization of facilities and project development.
• Commercially solves complex engineering problems and delivers accurate cost estimates and feasibility analysis.
• Conduct reservoir and individual well analysis of storage assets to predict, monitor, and manage reservoir performance.
• Perform reservoir studies to track reservoir performance as compared to predicted performance in order to develop optimal schedules and forecasts of individual reservoir deliverability.
• Assists with the development of commercial possibilities associated with current assets and potential projects.
• Participates in the design, validates assumptions: interfaces with external subsurface engineering contractors and commercial parties.
• Performs due diligence studies for acquisitions and development of storage opportunities.
• Analyze reservoir and/or cavern data in order to guide commercial and field operations to obtain the greatest economic benefit while maintaining operational integrity.
• Interfaces with other Southern Company Gas departments on major project initiatives.
• Communicates with external counterparties on the details of the project specifics (capacity, deliverability, etc.).
• Conduct the initial engineering analysis, modeling, design, and costing of subsurface facilities for proposed projects / acquisitions.
• Work with locations to efficiently run storage facilities / key stakeholder during critical operating periods.
• Utilizes internal and external resources to achieve desired results for multiple projects/storage fields simultaneously.
• Identify project risks and develop means to mitigate risks.
• Coordinate efforts of multiple groups to achieve optimal project results.
• BS in Engineering.
• Valid driver’s license.
• Degree in geotechnical field – petroleum, natural gas, or geology.
Related Work Experience:
• Minimum 2 years of engineering experience.
• Operational field experience in well work or plant operations.
• Minimum 2 years Salt cavern and/or commercial gas storage support experience.
• Minimum 2 years of reservoir engineering experience or equivalent.
• Reservoir simulation and/or modeling experience.
Specific Skills & Knowledge:
• Proven successes in project development; good management skills.
• Ability to adhere to tasks and deliver an unbiased view of projects.
• Awareness of project finances.
• Strongly motivated, with strong communication skills (oral and written).
• Leadership and diplomatic skills.
• Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and meet aggressive deadlines.
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
• This position can be located in Houston, TX or Naperville, IL
• Dynamic, fast-paced, demanding environment
• Ability to work flexible and extended hours
• Occasional Traveler (5 – 20% travel out of state, 5 – 20% travel in state)
This information describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this job. The description is not designed to be a comprehensive inventory of duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees in the job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to qualified disabled individuals for performance of essential duties and responsibilities.
Equal Opportunity Employer: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against based on their race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or other protected classification.
Southern Company Gas provides for the energy needs of millions of U.S. households and businesses. As the largest natural gas-only distribution company in the United States, with more than 150 years of history behind us, we're working to ensure that Americans have access to an abundant, safely delivered supply of natural gas for decades to come. We offer our customers a wide range of energy services under one umbrella: seven regulated utilities as well as non-regulated businesses that offer retail, wholesale and storage services.
Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is America's premier energy company, with 46,000 megawatts of generating capacity and 1,500 billion cubic feet of combined natural gas consumption and throughput volume serving 9 million customers through its subsidiaries . The company provides clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy through electric operating companies in four states, natural gas distribution companies in seven states, a competitive generation company serving wholesale customers across America and a nationally recognized provider of customized energy solutions, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications . Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service, high reliability and affordable prices that are below the national average. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation, Southern Company and its subsidiaries are inventing America's energy future by developing the full portfolio of energy resources, including carbon-free nuclear, 21st century coal, natural gas, renewables and energy efficiency, and creating new products and services for the benefit of customers. Southern Company has been named by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer, recognized among the Top 50 Companies for Diversity by DiversityInc, listed by Black Enterprise magazine as one of the 40 Best Companies for Diversity and designated a Top Employer for Hispanics by Hispanic Network. The company has earned a National Award of Nuclear Science and History from the National Atomic Museum Foundation for its leadership and commitment to nuclear development and is continually ranked among the top energy companies in Fortune's annual World's Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Illinois-Metro Chicago-Naperville
Operating Company: Southern Company Gas
Other Locations: Texas-Metro Houston-Houston
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): Yes, 25 % of the Time
G O Naperville - 1844 W Ferry Rd. (1844NapervilleCODE)
1844 W Ferry Rd.
Sequent Energy Mang LP - Texas - 1200 Smith Street (1200HoustonCODE)
1200 Smith Street
Req ID: GAS2001165