Southern Company Aux Equipment Operator (Plant Scherer) in Juliette, Georgia
Aux Equipment Operator (Plant Scherer)
Auxiliary Equipment Operator
Juliette, Georgia (Central Georgia Area)
Georgia Power is looking for skilled individuals for future Auxiliary Equipment Operator positions located at Plant Scherer.
In anticipation of future hiring needs in the 1st and 2nd quarters of 2019, we would like to take the opportunity to share information regarding this future opening and to learn more about you as a potential candidate. Your information will be collected and evaluated. We do not have any current openings present, so you may experience a delay in being contacted for next steps in the selection process. Please check your email messages regularly as we will communicate with you via email.
The Auxiliary Equipment Operator (AEO) position is an entry level position in the Power Plant Operations department that is responsible for continuous inspection, monitoring, and troubleshooting of industrial type plant equipment to ensure their reliable and efficient operation.
AEOs also perform routine operations tasks including:
· collecting and documenting readings
· initiating work orders to address equipment issues
· removing coal burning waste by-products
· servicing equipment such as adding oil or changing filters
· performing equipment isolation and alignments
(electrical and mechanical)
· operating pumps, fans and conveying systems
· performing housekeeping activities to ensure that dust control procedures are being addressed around the plant. This will include performing fire watch and responding to incipient fires.
In performing these tasks, AEO's must:
· Brief relief shift personnel on the status of the work and any information pertinent to the safe and efficient operation of equipment on the unit.
· Assist other personnel including mechanical and electrical maintenance, laboratory, and engineering personnel.
· Follow safety rules, regulations and procedures.
· AEOs must pass onsite training program and qualification exam to retain employment.
This job is subject to the provisions of Paragraph 46 of the Memorandum of Agreement between GPC and IBEW Local Union No. 84.
Candidates for employment must:
· Be at least 18 years of age
· Possess a valid driver's license
· Qualify on a written pre-employment aptitude test and physical abilities test. Testing will be coordinated by the recruiter for this position. No action regarding test scheduling is necessary on the interested applicant's part. Simply apply for the position to begin the candidate screening process. To view aptitude test information, click on the "Employment Testing" link found from the Hiring Process link on the Southern Company Career website.
· Pass a drug test and background investigation.
· Medically qualify for the use of a respirator
· Tobacco free (see below)
Education & Experience Requirements
· High school diploma or GED required
· Previous work experience (full-time or part-time) preferred but not required
· Previous work experience in the military, power plant, manufacturing, industrial, commercial, warehousing, construction or other safety related setting preferred but not required.
· 2-year technical degree or certificate in related field preferred.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
· Knowledge of basic electrical and mechanical principles
· Knowledge of hand tools
· Math calculation skills
· Basic computer skills
· Ability to read, understand and follow technical procedures, rules and regulations
· Ability to read and interpret tables, graphs, and piping diagrams
· Ability to take measurements using gauges, digital meters, and other instruments.
· Ability to work with and support team oriented work groups
· Ability to perform physical activities while wearing respirators with filter cartridges or self-contained breathing apparatuses in a power plant environment.
· Open two-way communication skills
Behavioral and Other Requirements
· Our Values
o Safety First - We believe the safety of our employees and customers is paramount. We will perform and maintain every job, every day, safely.
o Unquestionable Trust - Honesty, respect, fairness and integrity drive our behavior. We keep our promises, and ethical behavior is our standard.
o Superior Performance - We are dedicated to superior performance throughout our business. We will continue our strong focus on innovative solutions, improving how we run our business and our commitment to environmental stewardship.
o Total Commitment - We are committed to the success of our employees, our customers, our shareholders and our communities. We fully embrace, respect, and value our differences and diversity.
· Have a strong safety focus and awareness
· Be dependable and punctual.
· Demonstrate a can-do attitude, take initiative, and look for process improvements.
· Strive for self- improvement.
· This job requires shift work and overtime, and you will be required to work some weekend, nights and holidays: Plant Specific - Shift schedules are voted on annually, but currently this plant has two rotating 12-hour shifts (7:00 AM - 7:00 PM and 7:00 PM to 7:00 AM).
· Must be available to respond to call-outs seven days per week
· Must perform some physical activities while wearing respirators with filter cartridges or self-contained breathing apparatuses in a power plant environment
· Must be able to perform duties wearing personal protective equipment which may include: safety glasses, hard hat, respirator, dust mask, steel toe shoes, gloves and hearing protection
· Must be able to lift, push or pull heavy equipment or other items weighing up to 50 pounds.
· Must be able to work in difficult environments including confined spaces, extreme hot and cold temperatures, indoors and outdoors, around loud noise and locations accessible only via vertical ladders or over uneven spaces, cat walks, climbing high elevations up to 20 feet or working on grated surfaces/platforms above 20 feet.
· Must be willing to work with high voltages and high steam and water pressures.
Georgia Power Company has classified this position as “Safety Sensitive” and as such is subject to relevant pre-employment screening(s) to determine fitness for duty. Any offer of employment is contingent upon the applicant successfully completing all required fitness assessments.
Subject to the Georgia Power Company Smoke Free Workplace Policy: You must be free from all tobacco products (including but not limited to cigarettes, cigars, pipes, chew, snuff, patch and/or gum), at least six months prior to applying for this position.
Georgia Power is an investor-owned, tax-paying utility that serves 2.25 million customers in all but four of Georgia's 159 counties. The largest of four electric utilities that make up Southern Company, Georgia Power, has been providing electricity to Georgia for more than a century at rates well below the national average.
With 4.4 million customers and more than 46,000 megawatts of generating capacity, Atlanta-based Southern Company is the premier energy company serving the Southeast through its subsidiaries. A leading U.S. producer of clean, safe, reliable and affordable electricity, Southern Company owns electric utilities in four states and a growing competitive generation company, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications. Southern Company brands are known for energy innovation, excellent customer service, high reliability and retail electric prices that are below the national average. Southern Company and its subsidiaries are leading the nation's nuclear renaissance through the construction of the first new nuclear units to be built in a generation of Americans and are demonstrating their commitment to energy innovation through the development of a state-of-the-art coal gasification plant. Southern Company has been recognized by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer and listed by DiversityInc as a top company for Blacks. The company received the 2012 Edison Award from the Edison Electric Institute for its leadership in new nuclear development, was named Electric Light & Power magazine's Utility of the Year for 2012 and is continually ranked among the top utilities in Fortune's annual World's Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at http://www.southerncompany.com/
Job Field: Power Plant Operations & Maintenance
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Georgia-Central Georgia-Juliette
Operating Company: Georgia Power Company
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): No
Union Covered: Yes
Plant Scherer - 10986 Highway 87 (10986JULIETTE)
10986 Highway 87
Req ID: GPC2006510