Southern Company Spec,Safety in Pecatonica, Illinois
Field Safety Specialist – Nicor Gas
Nicor Gas Values-Safety First
We believe the safety of our employees and customers is paramount.
We will perform and maintain every job, every day, safely
If you have a passion towards safety and are looking for a self-rewarding job that ensures the safety of others please review the opportunity below.
This position requires a strong field presence striving to minimize work related incidents by working with all employees in implementing injury avoidance and accident prevention programs. This position will develop, implement and train on internal and external safety compliance, policies, regulations, and procedures.
To achieve success in this position, you are likely to have the ability to influence others on the importance of safety through your passion, skills, and knowledge. Our environment is governed by OSHA and DOT, so similar experience will be beneficial.
This position is part of a job family that spans from entry level to advanced safety compliance positions. Specific position level will be based on years of experience and/or education; demonstrated knowledge, skills & ability; complexity of programs administered, risk and responsibility, and budgetary value managed.
• Champion, coach, and promote occupational safety programs.
• Ability to learn and interpret OSHA/DOT regulations.
• Conduct root cause analysis and determine corrective actions.
• Serve as Subject Matter Expert (SME) to departments on matters of occupational safety and compliance.
• Ability to understand and recognize hazards.
• Ability to lead and direct safety expectations with employees.
• Support implementation of Nicor gas safety programs.
• Conduct inspections (facility, worksite, etc.) to ensure compliance.
• Train, coach, and deliver presentations to educate employees on safety programs.
• Provide emergency response support.
• Promote the Nicor Gas Safety Culture and Safety Value.
• Teach and promote proper body mechanics and required Personal Protective Equipment.
• Execute on Nicor Gas Strategic Safety Plan
• Communicate leading and lagging indicators to management.
• Support achieving safety objectives, goals and targets.
• Determine safety best practices to support the company’s goals by consulting with company representatives (internal peers and other key business units) and external sources such as AGA and peer companies.
• Ability to support ALL employees at Nicor Gas to promote safety, quality and workmanship
• Desire to create a strong field presence on a daily basis
• Demonstrate good communication and interpersonal skills at all levels within the Company necessary to guide business units and individuals with respect to Health & Safety issues.
• Develop and conduct presentations for business and safety meetings, safety committee meetings, safety summits, and other presentations on safety related standards and policies.
• Motivate and encourage development of a safety culture by facilitating focus group exercises (e.g. Hazard Analyses, Safety Culture Assessments, Safety Committee Exercises, and Job Hazard Assessments).
• Conduct safety compliance assessments. Drive the business units to correct deficiencies by conducting follow-up meetings with the business leaders.
• Direct and oversee investigations of Health & Safety incidents such as higher severity injuries and motor vehicle collisions and process safety incidents.
• Monitor implementation of corrective and preventive actions to prevent further incidents.
• Implement and support safety programs critical to changing behaviors.
• BA/BS degree in Occupational Safety, Industrial Hygiene, or other related technical or science degree.
• Experience with practical field applications of safety programs
• Previous Utility Supervision or Operations experience
• Working knowledge of OSHA/DOT regulations and programs
Specific Skills& Knowledge:
• Ability to manage multiple projects with limited supervision
• Ability to understand and analyze legislation, regulation and translate into corporate summaries and policy as needed
• Strong leadership skills
• Must be able to work in the field under a variety of weather conditions
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Knowledge of safe work practices and procedures
• Strong presentation and team facilitation skills
• MS Office Suite - intermediate proficiency, ability to learn other databases and technology tools quickly
• Project management skills
• Strong organizational and time management skills
• Competency to work independently, to be a self-starter, and take initiative
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
• The incumbent works in an office environment, but will be primarily working in the field being exposed to varying outdoor weather conditions when working with field operations, conducting facility inspections, facilitating assessments, etc.
• Expected to cover a large service territory
• Expected travel within the Nicor Gas territory
• The incumbent may be required to travel on an occasional basis. Trips will likely require air travel and/or overnight stay away from home for one or more nights.
• Must be able to respond to urgent Health & Safety issues when contacted.
• Availability to respond to assist in emergency situations when needed.
Poisition includes company vehicle
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Illinois-Central Illinois-Ancona
Operating Company: Southern Company Gas
Other Locations: Illinois-Central Illinois-Troy Grove, Illinois-Central Illinois-Pontiac, Illinois-Northern Illinois-Pecatonica, Illinois-Central Illinois-Hudson
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): Yes, 25 % of the Time
Union Covered: No
Ancona - 28512 North 100 East Rd (28512AnconaCODE)
28512 North 100 East Rd
Troy Grove - 169 N 36th Rd. (169TroyGroveCODE)
169 N 36th Rd.
Troy Grove, 61342
Pontiac - 20266 East 1600 North Rd. (20266PontiacCODE)
20266 East 1600 North Rd.
Pecatonica - 2710 N Conger Rd. (2710PecatonicaCODE)
2710 N Conger Rd.
Hudson - 20487 North 1700 East Rd. (20487HudsonCODE)
20487 North 1700 East Rd.
Req ID: GAS2001184