Southern Company Customer Verification Representative in Riverdale, Georgia
Customer Verification Representative
The purpose of this position is to verify the identity of new and existing residential and commercial customers to ensure identity theft does not occur for multi-jurisdictional and multi-functional customer contact teams in support of AGL Resources regulated utilities. The incumbent will ensure adequate security is maintained on each account to secure the company against loss. The incumbent is responsible for collecting revenues due to AGL Resources and its entities on final-billed and charged-off accounts and will make financial decisions to protect/collect revenues and adjusts customer accounts. The incumbent will work in a high-volume environment of 2 million customer contacts through written and electronic media annually and serve a customer population of more than 2 million customers. The incumbent will handle customer questions, complaints, and billing inquiries with the highest degree of courtesy and professionalism to resolve customer issues with first call resolution to maintain positive relationships with internal and external customers and offer alternative solutions where appropriate with the objective of retaining customer’s business. The incumbent will communicate with customers using web-based tools and demonstrate the associated proficiency in typing and grammar. The incumbent is responsible for compliance with applicable policies and procedures for customer contact operations within assigned area of responsibility. Incumbents are responsible for regulatory and budget compliance and compliance with work policy, practices, and procedures. Incumbents assist in training and coaching new employees.
Job Responsibilities & Accountabilities by Competency
• Compare personal identifying information provided by the customer to data obtained from external information sources such as a credit reporting agency.
• Determine documentation requirements; review and maintain hard copies when necessary.
• Manually verify the customers’ identification matches the information on a signed residential lease or purchase application.
• Solve problems that are sometimes unstructured and that may require reliance on conceptual thinking.
• Process turn-on orders placed on hold.
• Perform accounting functions related to orders, adjustments, and corrections.
• Follow documented procedures for new faxes received.
• Properly secure customer identity and documentation.
• Assist CSR with questions regarding lease & ID documentation received.
• Adhere to all Red Flag (FACTA) Rules.
• Process on-line orders (turn-on, turn-off, and match orders) received through the Dashboard.
• Coordinate work requests with appropriate departments and service centers; informs customers of actions taken.
• Tracks and prepare data for monthly reports to include FACTA codes.
• Purge files and ensure data compliances are met based on the Record Retention policy/guidelines.
• Properly update customer information in appropriate systems and tracking tools (CMA & SharePoint).
• Submit monthly on-line order data for monthly reports.
• Attend quarterly training sessions on Red Flag adherence updates.
• Up-sell natural gas plus handle miscellaneous customer service and general information calls via the phone, email, or internet.
• Maintain regulatory compliance (intra-company and extra-company accountability
• Maybe required to work in one or multiple ques/skill sets over various customer contact channels.
• Responsible for improving customer retention through programs and service provided to the customer.
• Maintain working knowledge of all company products, services, and promotions.
• Assist in training and coaching new employees
• Participate in activities designed to improve customer satisfaction and business performance.
• Participate in morale building activities
• Manage peer relationships
• Accountable for meeting individual performance objectives
• Responsible for managing assigned workload, setting goals, prioritizing work, evaluating results, and taking corrective action as needed.
• Must meet KPI targets on a consistent basis
High School Diploma or GED
• BA/BS degree
Related Work Experience:
• 6 months of experience in customer service
• Availability to work flexible schedule which includes all hours of customer care center operations
• 1 years’ experience in a utility or call center
Equivalent academic education and work experience
Specific Skills & Knowledge:
• Computer use - basic proficiency
• Keyboard 40 WPM
• Ability to multi-task (Including talking with customers on the phone and using computer systems)
• Customer Service – basic proficiency
• Excellent written and verbal skills
• Time Management – Maximizing available time to its highest purpose while achieving objectives
• Oral Comprehension – the ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words (listen for what’s not being articulated, listening for agreement, etc.)
• Must be able to use multiple mainframe and software programs – MS Office and others which includes SharePoint.
• Solid problem-solving skills.
Working conditions/Physical Requirements:
Disclaimer : This information describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this job. The description is not designed to be a comprehensive inventory of duties, responsibilities and qualifications required in the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to qualified disabled individuals for performance of essential duties and responsibilities.
Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is America's premier energy company, with 44,000 megawatts of generating capacity and 1,500 billion cubic feet of combined natural gas consumption and throughput volume serving 9 million electric and gas utility customers through its subsidiaries. The company provides clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy through electric utilities in four states, natural gas distribution utilities in seven states, a competitive generation company serving wholesale customers across America and a national recognized provider of customized energy solutions, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications. Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service, high reliability and affordable prices that are below the national average. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation, Southern Company and its subsidiaries are inventing America's energy future by developing the full portfolio of energy resources, including carbon-free nuclear, 21st century coal, natural gas, renewables and energy efficiency, and creating new products and services for the benefit of customers. Southern Company has been named by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer, recognized among the Top 50 Companies for Diversity by DiversityInc, listed by Black Enterprise magazine as one of the 40 Best Companies for Diversity and designated a Top Employer for Hispanics by Hispanic Network. The company has earned a National Award of Nuclear Science and History from the National Atomic Museum Foundation for its leadership and commitment to nuclear development and is continually ranked among the top utilities in Fortune's annual World's Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at www.southerncompany.com.
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Field: Customer Service
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Georgia-Metro Atlanta-Riverdale
Operating Company: Southern Company Gas
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): Yes, 25 % of the Time
Union Covered: No
South Customer Service Center - 540 Georgia Highway 138 SW (540RiverdaleCODE)
540 Georgia Highway 138 SW
Req ID: GAS2003732