Southern Company Nuclear Plant Instructor (Fire Brigade) - Plant Vogtle 3&4 in Waynesboro, Georgia
Nuclear Plant Instructor (Fire Brigade) - Plant Vogtle 3&4
NUCLEAR PLANT INSTRUCTOR (Fire Protection) - Plant Vogtle 3&4
Southern Nuclear, a subsidiary of Southern Company, manages and operates six nuclear power electric generating plants that provide approximately 20 percent of the electricity used in Alabama and Georgia. Southern Nuclear is leading the nuclear renaissance by building the first new U.S. nuclear reactors in more than 25 years. When completed, the two Westinghouse AP1000 reactors currently under construction at Plant Vogtle will make the facility the largest in the U.S. with four reactors on one site. This is an exciting time to join the Southern Company team and share your talents with a growing and progressive organization!
The successful candidate will be responsible for performing a defined range of activities related to the analysis, design, development, implementation, and evaluation of the SNC Fire Brigade, Confined Space Rescue and Technical Rope Rescue Training Programs. These activities include conducting training for Initial, Continuing, and Specialty Training. Additionally, this position assists with development and instruction of various other Training/Special Projects as requested by the Plant Training Supervisor and procures, coordinates, and schedules on-site and off-site Training. The position is responsible for ensuring the training program reinforces plant standards and expectations. The candidate filling this position must be able to satisfactorily complete a certified instructor course and be able to don a respirator and SCBA. This position may be required to fill a temporary assignment in the plant during refueling outages. The candidate filling this position must be able to satisfactorily complete specialty training courses, to include but not limited to Technical Rope Rescue Technician, Confined Space Rescue Technician, NPQ Fire Instructor I and II, Firefighter I, Hazardous Material Operations Level, Structural Fire Control Instructor, Pressurized Container Fire Control and Controlling Flammable and Combustible Liquid Fires as required.
NOTE: A 10-15 minute presentation, on a topic of the applicant’s choice, will be required as part of the interview process.
• High school diploma or equivalent is required
• Technical degree preferred
Working or teaching experience in the field of Fire Brigade, Technical Rope Rescue and/or Confined Space Rescue is required.
Knowledge of the Systematic Approach to Training, NRC regulations, NEIL requirements, NFPA standards and the Southern Nuclear Fire Brigade, Technical Rope Rescue and Confined Space Rescue Training Programs is beneficial, but not required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Detailed knowledge of plant procedures and regulations, nuclear plant systems and processes.
• Working knowledge of computer software programs supporting assigned area: Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and other applicable software.
• Good oral and written communication skills.
• Team-oriented, energetic, and self-motivated
• Knowledge of current trends in training technology/methodology is preferred
• Prioritizes work to ensure schedules are met.
• Seeks input from other employees into decision-making process when necessary.
• Considers financial implications of decisions and actions to ensure costs are within budget.
• Respects the dignity of every individual
• Assumes personal responsibility for superior results and company success
• Exhibits the Our Values behaviors – Safety First, Unquestionable Trust, Superior Performance and Total Commitment
• Ensure personal safety standards are understood & enforced and that assigned workers perform their work safely.
• Any applicant accepting this position will be required to meet the background screening and NRC Fitness for Duty requirements.
• Any applicant accepting this position will be required to meet the physical requirements of the position, including, but not limited to standing, walking, crawling, talking, climbing, lifting, bending, stooping, sitting, feeling, seeing, speaking, keyboarding, grasping, balancing, hearing and NO unreasonable fear of heights or fear of enclosed or narrow spaces.
Selected candidate must live within one hour of Plant Vogtle 3&4 for emergency response availability.
Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is America’s premier energy company, with 44,000 megawatts of generating capacity and 1,500 billion cubic feet of combined natural gas consumption and throughput volume serving 9 million electric and gas utility customers through its subsidiaries. The company provides clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy through electric utilities in four states, natural gas distribution utilities in seven states, a competitive generation company serving wholesale customers across America and a national recognized provider of customized energy solutions, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications. Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service, high reliability and affordable prices that are below the national average. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation, Southern Company and its subsidiaries are inventing America’s energy future by developing the full portfolio of energy resources, including carbon-free nuclear, 21st century coal, natural gas, renewables and energy efficiency, and creating new products and services for the benefit of customers. Southern Company has been named by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer, recognized among the Top 50 Companies for Diversity by DiversityInc, listed by Black Enterprise magazine as one of the 40 Best Companies for Diversity and designated a Top Employer for Hispanics by Hispanic Network. The company has earned a National Award of Nuclear Science and History from the National Atomic Museum Foundation for its leadership and commitment to nuclear development and is continually ranked among the top utilities in Fortune’s annual World's Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at www.southerncompany.com.
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Field: Power Plant Operations & Maintenance
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Georgia-East Georgia-Waynesboro
Operating Company: Southern Nuclear Operating Co
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): Yes, 25 % of the Time
Plant Vogtle 3 & 4 - 7825 River Road (7825WAYNESBORO)
7825 River Road
Req ID: SNC2006007